The word Sasso stems from a big sandstone bolder where an ancient Tuscan abbey was built in the 8th century, hence its name "Badia di Sasso".
In the early 900 the abbey was restored and buttressed to truly become a castle, which was then turned into a monastery given to S. Ellero Abbey by Pope Innocent III in 1213.

Over time most part of the monastery was destroyed and transformed in a farmhouse where people lived till the 50ies. Today this rare example of architecture is a perfect combination of medieval monastic austerity and the harmonious and practical simplicity of the Tuscan-Romagna farmers who inhabited the fertile Sasso dell.

©Badia di Sasso, Localitą Sasso - Berleta, Frazione di Corniolo, Santa Sofia (FC)
- Tel. +390543980309 - Fax: +390543976028 - E-mail: info@badiadisasso.it